Yoga People was founded in 1998 and was Brooklyn Heights’ first yoga studio. Today, after over a decade of service, Yoga People has maintained a sweet neighborhood vibe. Although our yoga community has grown tremendously, we still pride ourselves on being a small, intimate sangha where teachers and students know each other by name.
This is what attracted me to Yoga People in 2009 when I came to the studio as a timid new yoga student.
My first teachers here were Donnalynn Civello and Julia Haramis. They asked for my name as I came into the room for my first practice and throughout class I felt immediately at ease hearing “Very nice, Fern” or “Watch that front knee, Fern.” Knowing I was being cared for and supported was a complete game-changer for me and kept me coming back as a loyal yogi 5 years after my first class.
I’ve been put off by the vibe at larger, corporate yoga studios where the vibe is “get in, get out” and students and teachers are in a frenetic hustle to get right back to work and yoga is just a tick on the to-do list. At Yoga People, the vibe is on the complete other end of the spectrum. After class, you’ll often hear teachers and students chatting about yoga and what’s going on in their lives.
Practicing at a small, intimate neighborhood studio has changed my life.
Here are 5 reasons why practicing at Yoga People may change yours, too.
1. You know you’ll be safe and cared for. Our teachers are advocates for your safety and security and pay special to your attention to alignment in each pose. Our teachers have all been trained to guide you and adjust your practice to any injuries or limitations you may be experiencing so you can practice safely.
2. You can always find a class for your experience level. Our membership advisor will assess your needs and preferences to guide you in choosing which classes are best suited for you, giving you unique personalized support.
3. The group energy of the classes is infectious in a small setting where you really feel like you are part of a supportive community.
4. You will find more progress your practice in an intimate setting where you are genuinely supported. Research shows that when you feel acknowledged and taken care of, you will learn at a faster pace and develop a stronger practice that allows you to move safely with alignment that will ultimately provide the best benefit your body.
5. You will be embraced by a community of supportive, kind people who may turn out to be your new neighborhood best friends.
Here’s what some of our students are saying:
“This is my favorite studio in Brooklyn, and I’ve been to a bunch! The teachers here are so talented and dedicated. I like that it’s a small studio, because it makes the experience more intimate. The teachers really take the time to plan and teach classes that give the most to their students. I’ve been to other studios in the area, and this is the only one where teachers are constantly adjusting and assisting.” Vanessa S
"It’s the first and only studio I have tried that is far from pretentious and snobby. I have space to move and don’t have to fight for a place to put my mat down, which is a nice change compared to places like YogaWorks. Teachers are attentive to my needs and goals. Everyone is so sweet, nurturing, and kind and I have met some amazing people here. My yoga practice is forever changed." Kelly M
We love supporting small businesses in Brooklyn and would love to get to know you. Send us a note and we can’t wait to share our special community with you!